Menu Call Email

Need our help or advice?

02380 236025

The Specialists in Family Law...
Child Alone With Teddy Bear - Children
Upset Couple - International Divorce
Struggling Couple - Separation Agreements
Children - Family Law

How the 80/20 rule applies to your divorce


Published: 11th February 2007 - Category: Separation and Divorce - Author: Lynne Bastow

The 80/20 rule, or Pareto principle is an economic rule that 80% of resources are spent producing 20% of output. It began by him noticing that 80% of the land was owned by 20% of the people.

The rule is universal, for example:

20% of customers and 20% of sales staff produce 80% of revenue

We wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time

We only use 20% of our stuff so the other 80% is clutter

Eat healthily 80% of the time

80% of crime is carried out by 20% of criminals

80% of horse races are won by 20% of jockeys and trainers

How does this rule apply to my divorce?

Recognise that 80% of the stuff you are arguing about is stuff you don’t need or want and will become clutter if you get to keep it. I know of one woman who was determined to prevent her husband getting the dining table and chairs and left them to rot in her garden!

Understand that 80% of the pain you are feeling is the resurgence of past hurts and try to focus on the events happening now. We know he never helped in the house, had an affair, was violent, and that she constantly undermined you and refused to have sex for years, but all these past hurts and rejections feed the fight. Try to separate what is hurting now from past scars.

Focus on what the issues are. The family courts, perhaps unwittingly, understand this rule and ask couples to agree the matters in dispute at an early stage.

Lynne Bastow Divorce Solicitor

Meet Lynne Bastow

With over 16 years experience, Lynne can provide excellent and valuable advice and has a friendly, positive approach towards all her clients, ensuring you get the best service possible.

Read Lynne's Books

If you need more information on divorce, Lynne has published two informative guides on divorce, which you can purchase from Amazon.

The Little Book of Divorce

The Little Book of Divorce

Buy on Amazon
The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

Buy on Amazon
Close

Contact Bastows Solicitors.

Please contact our team if you need any help or advice. Simply complete the contact form below and someone will be in touch soon. The data you provide will only be used by Bastows Solicitors for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry and will not be shared with any third party.

Close

Request a Callback.

If you would like a member of our team to call you, please complete the form below. The data you submit will only be used by Bastows Solicitors for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry and will not be shared with any third party.