Menu Call Email

Need our help or advice?

02380 236025

The Specialists in Family Law...
Child Sat Alone - Mediation
Child Looking Sad - Mediation
Child Alone With Teddy Bear - Children
Children - Family Law

Child Maintenance

Child Maintenance and Support

The Child Maintenance Service (which has replaced the old Child Support Agency) has responsibility for assessing the level of maintenance the non-resident parent should pay the parent with care on behalf of the child on divorce. The court does not have jurisdiction on divorce to assess child maintenance apart from certain exceptions, such as for a step-child who is a child of the family or where the absent parent is habitually resident outside the United Kingdom.

The Court retains Jurisdiction for applications concerning the payment of school fees.

The Court also retains Jurisdiction in the dissolution of a Civil Partnership Agreement for consideration of maintenance for a child of the family.

If the parents have never been married the non-resident parent must also make an application to the Child Maintenance Service if an agreement cannot be reached.

Topping Up Orders

If the non-resident parent’s net weekly income exceeds £2,000.00 the parent with care can apply to the court for a Topping Up Orders.

Financial Provision for a Child

Subject to the provisions of the Child Support Act 1991, the Court has powers under Schedule I of the Children Act 1989 to make the following orders for the benefit of the child:

  • Periodical Payments
  • Secured Periodical Payments
  • Lump Sum
  • Transfer of Property

In reality the court is unable to make a periodical payments order unless a topping up order is applicable, or there is agreement between the parents, but even then either parent can apply to the Child Maintenance Service one year after the Court Order for an assessment.

The Court can order a capital transfer for the benefit of a child, for example to provide a home for the child, but normally the capital would revert back to the non-resident parent when the child reaches the age of majority. This is useful where the parents are unmarried or it was a short marriage and the non-resident parent is wealthy.

The Court also has powers under Schedule 8 of the Children Act 1989 to make an order in connection with any aspect of Parental Responsibility for a child.

Lynne Bastow Divorce Solicitor

Meet Lynne Bastow

With over 17 years experience, Lynne can provide excellent and valuable advice and has a friendly, positive approach towards all her clients, ensuring you get the best service possible.

Read Lynne's Books

If you need more information on divorce, Lynne has published two informative guides on divorce, which you can purchase from Amazon.

The Little Book of Divorce

The Little Book of Divorce

Buy on Amazon
The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

The Little Book of Divorce Dilemmas

Buy on Amazon

Contact Bastows Solicitors.

Please contact our team if you need any help or advice. Simply complete the contact form below and someone will be in touch soon. The data you provide will only be used by Bastows Solicitors for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry and will not be shared with any third party.


Request a Callback.

If you would like a member of our team to call you, please complete the form below. The data you submit will only be used by Bastows Solicitors for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry and will not be shared with any third party.